We can insure:
- Self-managed – where the property owner is managing a series of contractors, but not undertaking the works with his/her own hands
We can’t insure:
- Pure self-build projects – where the property owner is physically undertaking the work, whether this includes additional labour sourced elsewhere or not
With a self-managed project, in addition to the standard risk information requested on our proposal form we also need to know:
- What project management experience the self-builder has.
- Who is responsible for health and safety on site?
- Whether the CDM regulations apply?
If it transpires that a self-builder has limited experience, and has not adequately considered the H&S implications and CDM regulations, then we may decline the risk.